Volunteer Center Highlights
About the Volunteer Center
- Started in 1996, working out of a one room office located at the Thompson Community Center.
- Serves volunteers and non-profit agencies in Calumet, Outagamie and Winnebago counties.
- Since 2000, has hosted the community-wide fundraiser, The Human Race.
- Has a comprehensive online service for recruiting and managing volunteers using a salesforce.com platform. Find it at www.volunteercenter.net then "Search Opportunities" to find the match for you.
- Was highlighted by Ms. Alma (Colin) Powell at the National Points of Light Conference on Volunteerism for its work with young people both encouraging them to volunteer and providing caring adults in their lives.
- Coordinates the Youth Alliance Awards to highlight and recognize the many accomplishments made by area youth.
- Is at the forefront of addressing many community needs, such as mentoring, literacy and youth volunteerism.
- Assists more than 100 area non-profit organizations by annually by promoting their volunteer needs in the Volunteer Connections book.
- Publishes a Youth Project Book, Fox River Valley Mentoring Guide, and a Holiday Guide in addition to compiling volunteer information for local media. The Volunteer Center also provides consultation services to these agencies.
- Coordinates the Workplace Volunteer Council (WVC). This is a local coalition of companies that either have active volunteer programs or are interested in developing them.
- Supports community-wide volunteer efforts such as the Mentoring Coalition, Universal Playground Project (2005), Chain Reaction Day and Project Heat’s On. By recruiting volunteers, offering volunteer management consultation or work with the volunteers directly, the Volunteer Center strives to be at the heart of all community volunteer endeavors.